- 1 Do Top Fuel dragsters have oil filters?
- 2 Do Top Fuel dragsters use coolant?
- 3 What is in nitromethane fuel?
- 4 How long does a Top Fuel dragster engine last?
- 5 How many quarts of oil does a Top Fuel dragster hold?
- 6 How much oil does a Top Fuel dragster take?
- 7 How much does nitromethane cost per gallon?
- 8 What is the fastest 1/4 mile time ever recorded?
- 9 How much does it cost to run a Top Fuel dragster?
- 10 How much HP does nitromethane add?
- 11 Can I add nitromethane to my gas?
- 12 How much is a barrel of nitromethane?
- 13 What size engine is in a Top Fuel dragster?
- 14 How much horsepower does it take to turn a Top Fuel supercharger?
- 15 What is the fastest quarter-mile Top Fuel?
Do Top Fuel dragsters have oil filters?
The BME Top Fuel Dragster uses FRAM Oil Filters. Both Autolite Spark Plugs and FRAM Filters are part of Honeywell Consumer Products Group.
Do Top Fuel dragsters use coolant?
As Bennet said, top fuel drag cars are essentially fuel-cooled. They use Methanol and nitromethane rather than gasoline. Methanol has a very high latent heat of vapourisation, meaning that it cools the inlet air a LOT as it evaporates.
What is in nitromethane fuel?
Nitromethane is a little like gasoline that has been pre-mixed with nitrous oxide. The fuel comes with its own oxygen atoms to help it burn. The big advantage of nitromethane is that you can get a lot more power from each explosion inside the engine.
How long does a Top Fuel dragster engine last?
The life of an engine of this sort is typically 11–12 runs in a dragster it is completely replaced, but after each of those passes it will be torn down and rebuilt.
How many quarts of oil does a Top Fuel dragster hold?
Oil and fuel systems The oil system has a wet sump which contains 16 US quarts (15 l) of SAE 70 mineral or synthetic racing oil. The pan is made of titanium or aluminum. Titanium can be used to prevent oil spills in the event of a blown rod.
How much oil does a Top Fuel dragster take?
Most of the Top Fuel Dragsters you see today run 4 to 4.5 gallons of motor oil per run with a traditional wet-sump system and a deep oil pan.
How much does nitromethane cost per gallon?
Nitromethane used to power the engines of NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars costs about $16 US per gallon!
What is the fastest 1/4 mile time ever recorded?
Worlds Fastest 1/4 mile ever on dragstrip 3.58 secs @ 386 mph (621.61 km/h) | Drag racing, Chevy bowtie, Corvette stingray.
How much does it cost to run a Top Fuel dragster?
* Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load. * The redline is actually quite high at 9500 RPM. * THE BOTTOM LINE: Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, & for once, NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000 (USD) per second.
How much HP does nitromethane add?
Cars typically need about 15 pounds of air to burn one pound of gasoline. With nitromethane, you only need 1.7 pounds of air. Drag racing motors are big, with an average engine displacement of 8.9 liters. When supercharged, they can produce about 6,000 horsepower.
Can I add nitromethane to my gas?
This means that nitro fuels carry two oxygen atoms as part of their chemical makeup. While nitromethane (CH3NO2) does not mix with gasoline, nitropropane (C3H7NO2) does.
How much is a barrel of nitromethane?
At the end of the 2018 NHRA Mello Yello Series season it cost $1,195 for a 42-gallon drum of nitromethane. During the season-opening Winternationals at Pomona, Calif., a 42-gallon drum of nitromethane cost $1,428.
What size engine is in a Top Fuel dragster?
Powered by a supercharged and fuel-injected 500-cubic-inch adaptation of the famed Chrysler Hemi engine, Top Fuel dragsters can burn up to 15 gallons of nitromethane fuel during a single run.
How much horsepower does it take to turn a Top Fuel supercharger?
Top Fuel engines feature a 14-71 Roots style blower with a maximum manifold pressure of 65 pounds per square inch. It takes 900 to 1,000 crankshaft horsepower to run the supercharger. The blower has a rotor speed of 12,450 rpm and is capable of moving 3,750 cubic feet of air per minute.
What is the fastest quarter-mile Top Fuel?
The quickest Top Fuel pass on record is 3.623 seconds. The quickest elapsed time from a Top Alcohol Dragster—the quickest and fastest car that runs on the full quarter-mile track—is 5.090 seconds.